We will require some downtime in the near future in order to perform server upgrades and install ssl certificates. We’ve put off making the site secure for too long. We haven’t set a date for this yet, but I suspect it won’t really matter to anyone when we do this exactly, I just want you all to know its coming so that when the site is down you know it was planned and everything is okay…
In order to further the multi-site integration, it has become necessary to not have blog posts on the main site. Therefore we have switched off the ability of registered agents to post on the central site. You can still post articles, poems, blogs, videos, jokes etc to the colour sites, the elemental sites and the ufo site. Plus of course the KIA Egregore site for gathering and egregore related stuff.
Further, we have to move all the existing blogs posts on kiamagic.com to these ‘subsites’. To aid this transition I have created ‘categories’ in the main site named after each of the subsites, plus one for ‘personal site’, and moved all the articles to a suggested category. However there were over 400 blog posts for me to categorise and I may have made mistakes, so I would like to ask each blog author to check their posts and make sure you are happy with the default destination. You can edit existing blogs still and set the category to your prefered subsite.
You can also set the category to ‘personal site’. You will need to let kiabot know which of your subsites to move the article to.
Images and comments will be preserved.
The third party plugin I was using for Video embeds has started conflicting with other plugins on the site, so I have had to turn it off. This means videos in posts won’t be working for a while. The bug was causing a potential security exploit.
My plan now is to fork the plugin and make it safe. Hopefully I’ll have them all back up shortly…
Regarding recent instability of our server, and website downtime:
I have initiated a change of our VPS configuration. We were bottle-necking on RAM usage, whilst only using a small fraction, less than 1%, of our bandwidth. Also, our disk space usage stood at around 20%.
Baring this in mind, I cut our bandwidth limit to 40% of its current spec, and halved our storage limit, whilst increasing our max RAM by 4. Next predicted bottleneck would be storage, but we can double that back up to its current level and still roughly match our current spending. In the mean time we will have a small reduction in cost.
Here are current and projected costs rounded to nearest 5. Ranges given for GBP are approximates based on current exchange rates with a small window for rise and fall. Actual costs may differ as they are fixed price in USD.
- Current quarterly cost: $75 USD (£40-55 GBP approx)
- Current yearly cost: $300 USD (£160-220 GBP approx)
- Reconfigured quarterly cost: $70 USD (£35-50 GBP approx)
- Reconfigured yearly cost: $280 USD (£140-200 GBP approx)
- Quarterly cost after future storage increase: $80 USD (£45-60 GBP approx)
- Yearly cost after future storage increase: $320 USD (£180-240 GBP approx)
Whilst we are on the subject, if anyone is in a position to help contribute to these ongoing costs of running this site, please see our Supporting KIA page, or contact me for other ways to donate.
Lets discuss potential developments for the KIA website. I’ll outline some possibilities of where to focus and what we’ll need to achieve them:
1) Open up the colour sites. These were started by Anton as complementary to his first book ‘Kaos Hieroglyphica’ and one of the next books he is working on that will revisit the system. But they would probably be better served if other regular posters could contribute to them. Whilst everyone can do this now, they might be put off by the fact that Anton needs to ‘approve’ posts before they appear. Maybe we should just experiment with them being more open?
2) Same for the UFO site, the Egregore site and a few others.
3) Tumblr: We now have a kiamagic.com presence on tumblr: (http://kiamagic.tumblr.com) If you have tumblr accounts you can help promote KIA by reblogging our articles. Those that wish to help promote KIA by posting links to our actual articles on tumblr, old and new, can do so if I invite you to be able to post.
4) Twitter. We have a kiamagic twitter feed. Most kiamagic sites are set up to give you the option to ‘broadcast’ your article to twitter. Please use this feature. Also if you have twitter accounts, don’t forget to follow and retweet…
5) Facebook. We have no presence on facebook. Anton will not take responsibility for this as he has no facebook account and no intention of getting one. However, if someone else takes this into their own hands and creates a kiamagic.com facebook page, they can add this account and page to kiamagic.com so its facebook followers are notified. Any volunteers for that?
1) Friendica support. I’ve done some tests, and we can add this. It will mean all kiamagic.com accounts can be used as part of the decentralised social network made up of friendica and diaspora websites. It does however to do this properly we would require an authenticated security certificate. If we get this, we should probably secure the whole site. This would cost nearly $100 per year.
2) Premium plugins. There are wordpress plugins that do a whole lot more than we can currently achieve. Such as cookies that span multiple domains, so that you can login on kiamagic.com, and be still logged in on alchemical.tv or other domains. But again, this wouldn’t come cheap.
The default avatar doesn’t currently work on network sites, just the main BuddyPress site. I think this article might help when I come to fix this:
Some things that need doing:
* Set up twitter tools so that posts from the colour magic sites get tweeted to the kiamagic.com twitter account.
A KIABots work is never done…
Noticed a few important bugs that have arisen as a result of recent upgrades to the software:
- Ugly blank space line at top of page on main site.
- Forum styles broken in colour magic sites.
I’ll have to get on and fix this soon. *sigh*
Our first funding campaign wasn’t a huge runaway success, but I should point out that it we did raise enough to fully pay the hosting costs of our server until midway through 2012, so well done to all who contributed and helped in raising money. We’ve bought ourselves a little time before the next campaign.
Second, this campaign sparked our KIA Magic project, a project currently in hibernation as anton and spiral finish working on their Chemical Serpents book. But hopefully everyone is currently working behind the scenes on their contributions because this book promises not only a great read but hopefully also a useful contribution help pay for keeping this site going.
Thirdly, also as a result of our funding campaign we’ve begun working on a group wealth magic rite, which began with group divination, and has continued with the making of a collaborative video, currently being edited by anton and lolita. This will likely be used in a coordinated ritual performed by KIA members across the world using the video as a unified focus sometime around the Spring Equinox, when we intend to launch our dedicated blue magic site…
I decided to start this ‘meta’ site to have somewhere to post stuff about the development of the kiamagic.com website itself, with news of upgrades and issues and what not, without breaking the flow of interesting discussions on the main site with technical news.