Regarding recent instability of our server, and website downtime:
I have initiated a change of our VPS configuration. We were bottle-necking on RAM usage, whilst only using a small fraction, less than 1%, of our bandwidth. Also, our disk space usage stood at around 20%.
Baring this in mind, I cut our bandwidth limit to 40% of its current spec, and halved our storage limit, whilst increasing our max RAM by 4. Next predicted bottleneck would be storage, but we can double that back up to its current level and still roughly match our current spending. In the mean time we will have a small reduction in cost.
Here are current and projected costs rounded to nearest 5. Ranges given for GBP are approximates based on current exchange rates with a small window for rise and fall. Actual costs may differ as they are fixed price in USD.
- Current quarterly cost: $75 USD (£40-55 GBP approx)
- Current yearly cost: $300 USD (£160-220 GBP approx)
- Reconfigured quarterly cost: $70 USD (£35-50 GBP approx)
- Reconfigured yearly cost: $280 USD (£140-200 GBP approx)
- Quarterly cost after future storage increase: $80 USD (£45-60 GBP approx)
- Yearly cost after future storage increase: $320 USD (£180-240 GBP approx)
Whilst we are on the subject, if anyone is in a position to help contribute to these ongoing costs of running this site, please see our Supporting KIA page, or contact me for other ways to donate.